Saturday, December 21, 2013

Dave Armstrong's Family "Christmas Card" for 2013

[I sent this out to over 1,000 people on my mailing list. If you'd like to be on that list, to receive Christmas cards every year and the occasional update of my work (never any "begging" / solicitation), please send your e-mail address to apologistdave [at] gmail [dot] com] 




 

Star of Bethlehem -- watercolor by Edward Burne-Jones (1890)


We wish you and yours a Merry Christmas, and a wonderful, blessed new year; with much love:



Dave & Judy, Paul, Michael, Matthew, and Angelina Armstrong 



Joseph's Carol
[my 12th Christmas poem written since 1996]


My name is Joseph, descendant of King David and father of the savior of the world;

From Nazareth, a town in Galilee, from which, it was said, nothing good ever came!

I was betrothed to sweet, lovely Mary, serious and ever holy, even as a young girl;

Joyously awaiting marriage, we never imagined what an angel would soon proclaim.



Glorious Gabriel suddenly appeared to my beloved, and at first she was quite afraid;

Hailing Mary as "full of grace" and thus confirming her exceptionally favored state.

Speaking of a wondrous child, born of God the Holy Spirit, in her womb to be made;

"Second Eve" was overshadowed by God and Jesus took flesh: at conception great.



Not knowing this at first, I was greatly distressed to find my betrothed with child,

And resolved to divorce her quietly, so as to spare her any public scandal or shame.

But then an angel spoke to me in a dream, affirming Mary's innocence all the while;

The Holy Spirit had indeed conceived  "God with us": He who would heal the lame.



Later that year, we journeyed to David's Bethlehem: for a census to be signed by all;

Even though Mary, riding a donkey, was great with child: a mother very soon to be.

Seeking a warm inn as the time drew nigh, we found no lodging but an animal's stall.

There newborn baby Jesus lay in a manger; adored by parents and shepherds, was He.



We escaped to Egypt to flee Herod's wrath; the Messiah he had determined to shun;

Mary and I found Jesus, at twelve years old, teaching in the temple, warning of hell.

He was our pride and joy, and what a privilege: our many years with the God the Son! 

As Jesus grew, I taught Him the carpenter's trade; from Him I learned much as well.




Happy and wonderful!: the blessed time we spent with our Lord who was yet our son;

Peace filled our hearts as Jesus told us of God's gospel and kingdom message wise.

Though I would not live to see Him preaching, healing in Galilee: sinners to be won,

I'll never forget my son's birth, with glowing angels and the star lighting up the skies.



Written on December 5-6, 2013
[see my Christmas page, with links to my other eleven poems]


Dave Armstrong | Catholic Apologist and Author

FORTY-TWO BOOKS, FEATURING NINE "OFFICIALLY" PUBLISHED VOLUMES:

The Quotable Wesley (+) [upcoming: April 2014]
The Quotable Newman (*) (Foreword by Joseph Pearce) [October 2012]
A Biblical Defense of Catholicism (*) (Foreword by Fr. John A. Hardon, S. J., Servant of God) [1996 / 2003]
The Catholic Verses: 95 Bible Passages That Confound Protestants (*) [2004]
The One-Minute Apologist (*) [2007]
The New Catholic Answer Bible (** ) (co-author of inserts: Dr. Paul Thigpen) [2005; rev. 2011 with RNAB]
Bible Proofs for Catholic Truths (*) [2009]
The Wisdom of Mr. Chesterton (x) [2009]


(all 42 of my titles: standard rock-bottom e-book prices of $2.99 [PDF] and $6.99 [ePub] + deep discounts on bulk orders: 33% off for three books, 40% off for five, 50% off for ten)



Facebook Personal Page
(5,475 friends + followers: my primary day-to-day postings and interaction)


Facebook Author Page
(2,534 "likes": please visit and "like" if you like my work! The more "likes" -- the more books I can sell)


Twitter Page (1,751 followers)

100% Tax-Deductible Donation Information 

(I'm a full-time apologist / author dependent primarily on book royalties and secondarily on your generous donations. Please prayerfully consider a contribution. Thanks!)

Publishers
* = Sophia Institute Press
** = Our Sunday Visitor
x = Saint Benedict Press
# = Catholic Answers
+ = Beacon Hill Press



Armstrong Family: Christmas 2012: children from left to right: Paul (then 21), Matthew (16), Michael (19), and Angelina (11)

No comments: