Friday, June 27, 2008

Books That Refute the "Health-and-Wealth / Prosperity" False Teaching

All of these are Protestant authors, far as I know, and several are themselves charismatic / pentecostal (because that is where the error arises). These viewpoints are sadly rampant within charismatic circles, as I know first-hand from my four years at an Assembly of God congregation. I've personally seen it wreak havoc in the lives of people (including some in my larger family). I wrote my own refutation of this terribly dangerous strain of thought in 1982:

Biblical Refutation of "Hyperfaith" / "Name-it-Claim it" Teaching: Is it Always God's Will to Heal in Every Instance?

And just for the record (because this always comes up when one expresses this opinion), I firmly believe that God continues to heal today, when He chooses to do so, in His Providence, not based on our preferences. Here's one remarkable example concerning a son of a friend of mine. I could tell personal stories about myself, my wife, and others I know, but I'll refrain, because that isn't the point of this post.



The Word-Faith Controversy: Understanding the Health and Wealth Gospel by Robert M., Jr. Bowman (Paperback - Sep 2001)
7 Used & new from $19.95
(13)

In God we trust?: The deadly cancer of the "health and wealth gospel" by Greg Loren Durand (Unknown Binding - 1996)
1 Used & new from $14.94

The Health and Wealth Gospel: What's Going on Today in a Movement That Has Shaped the Faith of Millions
by Bruce Barron (Paperback - Jan 1987)
24 Used & new from $0.34




The Disease of the Health and Wealth Gospels by Gordon D. Fee (Paperback - Jan 1, 1985)
Buy new: $7.95
24 Used & new from $3.93
In Stock
(4)
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.




A Different Gospel: Biblical and Historical Insights into the Word of Faith Movement by D. R. McConnell (Paperback - Feb 1, 1995)
Buy new: $16.95 $11.53
19 Used & new from $9.85
Get it by Monday, Jun 30 if you order in the next 4 hours and choose one-day shipping.
(36)
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

A Different Gospel: A Historical and Biblical Analysis of the Modern Faith Movement by D. R. McConnell (Paperback - Jul 1988)
35 Used & new from $0.13
(6)

Charisma versus charismania by Chuck Smith (Unknown Binding - 2000)
5 Used & new from $3.25

2.


Charisma Vs. Charismania by Chuck Smith (Paperback - Sep 1993)
12 Used & new from $0.35
(3)

Other Editions: Unbound

Charisma Vs. Charismania by Chuck Smith (Paperback - 1983)
21 Used & new from $0.01

No comments: