Sunday, May 04, 2008

Sharp Lutheran Remains Clueless About Catholicism (Cardinal Newman as Supposed Radical Anti-Traditionalist )



This sort of goofy, logically-tortured, condescending thinking is apparently becoming more popular and fashionable these days, in the rush to discount Catholicism at all costs, by any means, sans rationality and calm critical appraisal. I have seen it in Catholic "traditionalists," anti-Catholic orthodox, rabid anti-Catholic Protestant polemicists like Steve Hays and David T. King and Kevin Johnson and TAO, and now in this Lutheran quasi-anti-Catholic. It's not in the cards for me to refute this, at this point of time. I have less than no desire to do so, and not nearly enough patience. I wish to merely allow my readers to be better acquainted with what's out there these days.

It's the "Newman was a radical liberal who overturned previous Catholic notions of tradition / the dreaded converts and apologists are bringing in a hybrid religion unknown prior to Vatican II" mentality. I'll give it points for cleverness and ingenuity, but it is dense as lead, and merely warmed-over George Salmon 19th-century polemics against Catholicism. Nothing new under the sun. Rest assured that every false notion that is set forth in this article is refuted at length somewhere on my site, for those who want to hear the other side of the story.

No comments: