Thursday, December 14, 2006

Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down (9-23-70)

Gorgeous song (written by Kris Kristofferson). It always takes me to a place that I can't describe. I think this is from his TV show.

I saw Johnny Cash in concert twice, in 1969 and 1970: once at the Michigan State Fair. He's my favorite all-time country singer after Hank Williams.

Little did I know at the time that I was seeing not only one of the pivotal singers and songwriters of country music, but also one of the founders of country music (Mother Maybelle Carter) and one of the fathers of rock and roll and the greatest rockabilly artist ever (Carl Perkins). They were both on tour with Cash, along with June Carter and her sisters, and (I believe, but I'm not sure), the Statler Brothers.

Man, what I would give to go back to that concert again, with what I know now about the history of music.

No comments: