Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Trinitarianism and Christology (Index Page for Dave Armstrong)

.

[Jesus-Shroud.jpg]

Painting by Ariel Agemian, combined with the image on the Holy Shroud of Turin, believed to be that of Jesus Christ. This may be the closest thing to a "photograph" of Jesus that we have.

http://www.biblechristiansociety.com





Christology / Jesus Christ





Biblical Evidence for Jesus' Omniscience, by Cross-Referencing to Parallel Texts Describing the All-Knowing Attributes of God the Father


Biblical Evidence for the Deity of Jesus Christ, Based on His Being Called "Lord" (Kurios) and "God" (Theos)
 

The Devil's Tempting of Jesus: Indirect Proof of His Divinity? [Facebook]

Jesus Explicitly, Directly Called God in Certain English Translations of the New Testament (Romans 9:5) [Facebook, 4 Jan. 2014]


Is William Lane Craig a Heretic? [yes, on three counts: denial that Jesus has two wills  (monothelitism), denial of God's being outside of time (also of His immutability), and of Jesus being eternally begotten of the Father; Facebook, 9-7-13 / Further Facebook discussion, from 1-30-14]

Christological Potpourri: Jesus' Soul, His Omnipresence, and "Worship" of the Father

























 
[PAPERBACK: List: $19.95 / 30% Lulu Discount: $13.97] [E-PUB: 6.99[PDF: 2.99] [KINDLE: 6.99] [NOOK: 6.99] [iTUNES: 6.99]


Trinitarianism / The Holy Trinity

















Theology Proper (Theology of God) / God's Attributes and Nature


Is God in Time? (vs. John W. Loftus)



Foreknowledge and Omniscience Do Not Require Determinism Or Elimination of Human Free Will  (Alvin Plantinga)


Is William Lane Craig a Heretic? [yes, on three counts: denial that Jesus has two wills  (monothelitism), denial of God's being outside of time (also of His immutability), and of Jesus being eternally begotten of the Father; Facebook, 9-7-13 / Further Facebook discussion, from 1-30-14] 

Thoughts on a Perfect God Who Creates an Imperfect World [Facebook]

Reflections on the Doctrine of Divine Simplicity and Church Authority to Determine the Parameters of Orthodoxy 








On the Alleged Contradictions of 2 Samuel 24, and 1 Chronicles 21 and 27 (vs. atheist "DagoodS")

Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? (Does God Positively Ordain Evil?) (vs. atheist "DagoodS")

Exodus 20:5: God's "Punishing" or "Visiting" Descendants "to the Third and Fourth Generation": Proof of an "Unjust" God or Biblical "Contradiction"?

The Catholic Dogmas of God's Immutability and Transcendence of Time

God's Immutability, Omniscience, Timelessness, and Impassibility / Anthropomorphism / Can God "Change His Mind"? Does God Have "Emotions"?

Church Fathers on the Immutability, Simplicity, Atemporality, and Impassibility of God

Biblical Evidence for Anthropopathism and God Condescending to Human Limitations of Understanding


Can God Change His Mind?: Dialogue With Bob Sungenis on God's Immutability, Omniscience, Atemporality, Simplicity, and Impassibility (Divine Emotions?)

Robert Sungenis' "Changeable God": More Documentation of His Erroneous Views (God Changing His Mind, Having Emotions, Being Bound to Time)





Last updated: 31 January 2014.




***

6 comments:

Sophia's Lover said...

Hi, Dave, it's Pito. I just read this Q & A over at Reasonable Faith and wanted to know what your thoughts were on it. Here it is: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=6606

Thanks.

Dave Armstrong said...

I think it's sad that Dr. Craig has adopted the Christological heresy of Monotheletism (the notion that Christ had one will, not two), seeing that he is one of the most able proponents of philosophical theistic proofs (esp. the cosmological argument).

If he doesn't want to accept what an ecumenical council says, he can still accept (I hope) what Scripture teaches. And I think it is pretty clear in this instance.

Jesus distinguishes His human will from His Divine Will, but completely subordinates the former to the latter. According to Ludwig Ott in Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma (p. 148), here are the scriptural proofs of the orthodox Catholic (and mainstream Protestant) position:

Matt 26:39 (RSV) And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt."

Luke 22:42 "Father, if thou art willing, remove this cup from me; nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

John 5:30 I can do nothing on my own authority; as I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.

John 6:38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me;

Other passages presuppose a human will:

John 4:34 Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work.

John 5:19 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever he does, that the Son does likewise.

John 8:29 And he who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what is pleasing to him.

John 14:31 but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father.

Romans 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by one man's obedience many will be made righteous.

Philippians 2:8 And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Hebrews 10:9 then he added, "Lo, I have come to do thy will." . . .

The freedom of choice of Christ's human will is demonstrated:

John 10:18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father."

Dave Armstrong said...

Jesus conceptually distinguishes the Father's will from his own (these are some further proofs of my own, that Dr. Ott did not cite):

Matthew 7:21 "Not every one who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 12:50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother, and sister, and mother. (cf. Mk 3:35)

Matthew 18:14 So it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.

John 6:39-40 and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up at the last day. [40] For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Many other passages show that Jesus human will always agreed with His (and the Father's) Divine Will.

Dave Armstrong said...

I also sent this scriptural info. to Dr. Craig in his Q&A submission form. We'll see if he makes any response. I hope he does. I think there is a possibility here of convincing him.

And I'm gonna make a new post now, because this is an important aspect of Christology.

Sophia's Lover said...

That's great, Dave; lookin' forward to it!

jeezy said...

its almost perfect but don't play brother u know his nose is wider than that. u gotta redo that piece cuz seriously and a very light shade darker