Thursday, October 07, 2004

Making Fun of Myself: "Paperback [Blogosphere] Writer"

Since it seems to be a recurring theme (or complaint, depending on one's perspective) that I write so fast and so much, I thought it was high time that I do a parody of myself (besides, it's just a lot of fun). Here it is; a take-off on the Beatles' 1966 rocker, Paperback Writer (see original lyrics):

Blogosphere Writer

Dear sir or madam, can you read 12 books?
They took me days to write, will you take a look?
Inspired by the writings of a man named Lewis*
And it is my job, so I want to be a blogosphere writer,
Blogosphere writer.

It’s a controversy with a Catholic man
And some Protestants just don't understand.
My sons are working for the daily news**,
It’s a steady job but I want to be a blogosphere writer.
Blogosphere writer

Blogosphere writer

Here's a thousand pages, give or take a few,
I’ll be writing more in an hour or two.
I can make them longer if you like the style,
I can crank 'em out and I want to be a blogosphere writer,
Blogosphere writer.

If you really hate it we can have a fight***,
I could write a million pages overnight.
If you must reject it, you can leave my blog
Cuz you need a break and don't want to be a blogosphere reader,
Blogosphere reader.

Blogosphere writer

Blogosphere writer - [background vocals] blogosphere reader
Blogosphere writer - [background vocals] blogosphere reader

*C.S. Lewis has been my favorite writer for many years now, and I regard him as one of the major influences in my desire to learn more about apologetics and to follow that line of work as my vocation.

**my three sons, wife and I all work (to various degrees -- I do it every day, as the main guy) delivering newspapers, as an additional part-time job to make ends meet (me being your stereotypical "starving author / apologist" -- well, not literally, but you get my drift . . . we're not exactly "rolling in dough" around here, even with the needed extra income. Rumors bandied about in some quarters of folks supposedly converting to Catholicism in order to make more money are greatly exaggerated!)

*** tongue-in-cheek reference to my love of challenging, feisty (particularly socratic) dialogue / debate.

No comments: